Biomimicry and Science: Applying Nature’s Strategies
Biomimicry and Science: Applying Nature’s Strategies introduces students to eco-literacy and design innovation concepts through project-based learning methodologies and by emphasizing real-world applications.
At a time when we need sustainable solutions to solve many pressing local and global challenges, researchers are finding that solutions to many of these problems already exist in nature. Biomimicry is the practice of looking to nature for strategies to solve human challenges. This course reinforces core content in chemistry, physics, and biology, using striking examples from nature and bio-inspired design as a framework to capture student interest.
The complete curriculum, Biomimicry and Science: Applying Nature’s Strategies, was created in partnership with the Biomimicry Institute. The program includes:
- Introduction to Biomimicry, a lesson that can be used from the launching point of any classroom to orient students to the exciting practice of biomimicry.
- 15 unique and engaging biomimicry lessons—five for each of three core areas: chemistry, physics, and biology.
- A capstone biomimicry design challenge provides students an opportunity to participate in an international design challenge through The Biomimicry Institute (click the “Downloads” tab below).
- All lessons offered in both English and Spanish with a range of teaching strategies, including slideshows, videos, activity sheets, assessments, technology tools, extension opportunities, critical thinking cards, and an inspirational poster.
In addition to the entire suite of Biomimicry and Science lessons, the Biomimicry and Science Support Package includes one year of online training and implementation resources, discussion boards to share ideas and questions with teachers across the country, and access to bi-montly Ask the Expert webinars. To purchase the Biomimicry and Science Support Package, visit https://ecorise.org/shop/ today!
Introduction to Biomimicry Module
Introduction to Biomimicry Lesson
Chemistry and Biomimicry Module
Lesson 1: Make It Stick!—Nature’s Adhesives
Lesson 2: Coral, Carbon, and Concrete
Lesson 3: Raspberry Solar Power
Lesson 4: The Ultimate 3D Printer
Lesson 5: The African Midge and Vaccine Stabilization
Physics and Biomimicry Module
Lesson 1: Elastic Energy and the Mantis Shrimp
Lesson 2: Built for Brilliance: Structural Color
Lesson 3: Elephant Hot Spots
Lesson 4: The Nature of Robots
Lesson 5: The Amazing Pomelo Fruit
Biology and Biomimicry Module
Lesson 1: Catching the Fog
Lesson 2: Swarm Intelligence and Smart Systems
Lesson 3: Industry and Ecology: A Natural Fit
Lesson 4: Pond Killers and Dead Zones
Lesson 5: Inspirational Bones
Biomimicry Design Capstone
Lesson 1: Introduction to Biomimicry for Design
Lesson 2: Identifying the Design Challenge
Lesson 3: Exploring Nature’s Solutions
Lesson 4: Exploring Nature’s Patterns
Lesson 5: Creating Nature-Inspired Ideas
Lesson 6: Refining the Design
Lesson 7: Sharing Design Solutions
State, National, and International Standards Alignment
- Common Core State Standards (CCSS)
- Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS)
- Cloud Education for Sustainability (EfS) Standards & Performance Indicators
- Texas Essential Knowledge & Skills (TEKS)
- Secretaría de Educación Pública (SEP)
- Competencias Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México (UNAM)