This LEED® Prep: Green Building Lessons for a Sustainable Future course gives students a thorough understanding of green building principles and LEED requirements to prepare them for taking the LEED Green Associate™ Exam and becoming a LEED Green Associate professional. LEED, or Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design, is a green building certification program from the U.S. Green Building Council® (USGBC®).
As the field of green building undergoes explosive growth, this course helps prepare students to enter a workforce with sought-after skills and experience. And because LEED is a global green building rating system, students with LEED credentials have skills that are in demand internationally.
In this course, students delve into what sustainability means to them personally and to the built environment. With hands-on activities and group projects, students examine practical aspects of green building, such as net-zero energy, sustainably sourced materials, and healthy air quality; and they practice designing green building components, such as sustainable landscapes and efficient water systems. Whether students who take this course become LEED Green Associates or not, the course helps them develop a sustainability mindset, empowering them to improve the health of the planet one project at a time.
The complete curriculum, LEED® Prep: Green Building Lessons for a Sustainable Future, includes:
- • 7 modules that are based upon the LEED Knowledge Domains from the LEED rating system’s credit categories.
- • 42 thorough and engaging lessons that apply concepts and strategies relevant to the USGBC’s LEED rating system, guiding students through the many facets of applying sustainable design to the built environment and preparing students for the LEED Green Associate (GA) certification exam.
- • LEED Green Associate Exam Preparation Bundle: Study Guide and Practice Tests from Green Building Education Services ($129.94 value), which can be used for supplementary reading and independent test preparation.
- • First-year USGBC membership at no cost*, which includes discounted access to USGBC resources such as the LEED Green Associate Exam, Green Classroom Professional (GCP) Certificate Program, LEED Core Concepts Guide, and Education@USGBC resources
*Applies to new members; membership is $300/year after the first year
To purchase LEED Prep: Green Building Lessons for a Sustainable Future, visit the eStore today! For more information about our Green Building Program, wrap-around services visit the Green Building Page.
MODULE 1: Introduction to Sustainability and Building Design
Lesson 1: Eco-‘Systems’
Lesson 2: The Carbon Dilemma
Lesson 3: Feedback Loops
Lesson 4: Building for the Future
Lesson 5: Regenerative Design
Lesson 6: Integrated Design Project
MODULE 2: Location, Transportation, and Sustainable Sites
Lesson 1: Building Together
Lesson 2: Greening Brownfields
Lesson 3: Greenscaping
Lesson 4: Solving Stormwater
Lesson 5: Curbing the Heat
Lesson 6: Integrating Transportation
MODULE 3: Water Efficiency
Lesson 1: Water: A Limited Resource
Lesson 2: Water Inside and Out
Lesson 3: What Is Water Quality?
Lesson 4: Indoor Innovations
Lesson 5: Outdoor Overhaul
Lesson 6: Water Solutions for the Future
MODULE 4: Energy and Atmosphere
Lesson 1: Envisioning Energy in Buildings
Lesson 2: Harvesting Free Energy
Lesson 3: Using Energy Smart Designs
Lesson 4: Prioritizing High-Performance Solutions
Lesson 5: Seeking Net Zero
Lesson 6: Keeping Track
MODULE 5: Materials and Resources
Lesson 1: The Built Environment
Lesson 2: Scrap Reduction
Lesson 3: Sustainably Sourced Materials
Lesson 4: Material Impacts
Lesson 5: Building Deconstruction
Lesson 6: Waste Management
MODULE 6: Indoor Environmental Quality
Lesson 1: Sick Building Syndrome
Lesson 2: Invisible Hazards
Lesson 3: Indoor Emissions
Lesson 4: Clean Construction
Lesson 5: Air Quality Measurement
Lesson 6: Comfort Is Key
MODULE 7: Innovation and Design Process
Lesson 1: U.S. Green Building Council
Lesson 2: LEED Rating Systems and Structures
Lesson 3: Innovation in Design
Lesson 4: Regional Priorities
Lesson 5: Synergistic Strategies
Lesson 6: Whole Building Design
State, National, and International Standards Alignment
Cloud Education for Sustainability (EFS) Standards & Performance Indicators
- New Generation Science Standards (NGSS)